Resources for Complaint Reporting

If this is an emergency, call 911.

If you believe you have been the victim of discrimination, harassment, and/or sexual misconduct, there are resources available at NC State University to provide information, advice, and feedback as well as to file formal complaints.

Not sure where to report? Here are some guidelines:

  • If it is an emergency, call 911.
  • If you have experienced an incident of harassment that may be a crime under state criminal law, such as sexual assault, relationship violence or stalking, you are encouraged to file a report with NC State Police. NC State Police will formally investigate the incident.
  • If you wish to submit a report of a possible Title IX violation, including complaints related to pregnancy discrimination, sex discrimination or any unwelcome sexual advances, a request for sexual favors or other written, verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature, report to OIED. An investigator will respond to your complaint.
  • If you experience or witness an incident of bias that may be neither a crime nor a Title IX violation, report to the Bias Impact Response Team.
  • If you would like a confidential, informal, impartial, and independent discussion, you may contact the Ombuds Offices: For faculty and staffFor students.

At NC State, the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity (OIED) is charged with fostering an inclusive campus community of students, faculty, and staff. Through OIED, students, faculty, and staff can file an anonymous report or a confidential report for incidents of Discrimination, Harassment, Title IX, and Retaliation. Visit the OIED Reporting website to file a report.

You are not required to file a report to the Raleigh Police; however, if you believe a crime has occurred, you are encouraged to report the incident. If you wish, the Title IX Coordinator in OIED can provide assistance in reporting to the police. For formal processing, Complaints must be submitted to the OIED within 30 calendar days of the alleged action that forms the basis of the Complaint.  Complaints submitted outside of the 30-day time limit will be reviewed and addressed as determined by OIED.

For additional questions, you may contact OIED at or by phone at 919-513-0574.

Note:  Pursuant to the SHRA Employee Grievance Policy, SHRA employees must file a Complaint with the OIED within 15 calendar days of the alleged discriminatory, harassing or retaliatory action that forms the basis of the Complaint before initiating a formal internal grievance to preserve their rights under State law.  Employees who do not meet the 15-day time limit may still file a Complaint with the OIED; such Complaint will be reviewed and addressed through either formal processing (if filed within 30 calendar days of the action) or through the informal resolution process, as may be required by Federal law.

Additional resources